Have you ever considered how you can pick up your phone and contact your friends all over the world? They are several miles away, however you are able to have a conversation as if your friend is within touching distance. What about the times you surfed the Web and engaged in listening music and watching videos? Could you remember when you purchased those accessories you loved the first time you saw it online? Did it ever cross your mind that there must be a reason for all the above situations to occur?
Well if you ever wondered, it’s all about a simple word that you may have once heard, called ‘Networks’.
What is a network?
A network is a collection of computers and devices that are connected together to share resources. As time progresses, computer networks are working together with other forms of networks such as telephone and communication networks to enable information to be conveyed via voice and data. Networking is heavily incorporated into our daily lives as businesses, schools and government entities conduct their operations through networks. Undoubtedly, the Internet is the world’s largest network and is used for various reasons such as:
- Communicating with friends
- Online Banking
- Downloading music and videos
- Distant Learning
In the business world, networking is inevitable. Important resources are shared across networks between users that ultimately affect the efficiency of firms. There is also continual dialogue with customers and the need to collaborate with other firms and stakeholders. Hence it is vital to ensure that network operations are implemented because they are an important aspect in these modern times.
A network is classified by the size of coverage it could withstand. The common types of networks are:
- Personal Area Networks (PAN’s)- consist of personal devices for autonomous use. They are in close proximity with the user’s devices and can be used to sync portable devices together.
- Local Area Network (LAN)- enables users to share resources over a smaller accessible region. It is commonly used in the home or in schools. LAN networks are very reliable. If one computer fails in the network, the other computer can still function. Computers can be easily added to a Lan network, however if the communication line breaks, the entire system fails.
- Metropolitan Area Networks (MAN’s)- refer to networks that are geared towards a metropolitan area. They are hosted by service providers who cover any user in the coverage area at a minimal cost.
- Wide Area Network (WAN)- covers a wide access region. This network consists of two or more LAN’s connected together. The internet for example is the largest WAN.
Networks come in different size and technologies, but the key to them interconnecting with each other stems from network protocols which are rules that oversee the communication aspect of computers in a network. Along with computers, other peripherals used in networking including:
- Network Cables
- Wired or Wireless Routers
- Network Cards
Networks are easily identified through relations of being wired or wireless, their topology, architecture and size. Without Networks, many of our day-to-day functions would not be possible. Get informed. Get involved. Networking is for everyone!
My name is Shalon Kerr and I reside in the beautiful island of Tobago. I am a purpose-driven young man who keeps looking at the positive side of things. Life presents many challenges and obstacles, but with God all things are more than possible. One of my favorite motivational thoughts which I birthed says “Your current disposition is not your final end” This always encourages me to push forward despite the present circumstance.
My hobbies include, motivating young people, singing, playing sports and travelling. I am a team person and have natural leadership traits. My involvement in group life has been one of the major factors for my overall development. I am currently pursuing my Bachelor of Arts in Business Management that would enable me to effectively manage my family business.
In light of the Introductory Computer Tools Course, the journey thus far has been very challenging. The coursework requires commitment, dedication and sheer hard work. However, this experience has definitely widened my knowledge of computers and its concomitant processes. Working along with other students in an online environment is new for me, but affords one to adapt to new strategies and gain experience in the field.
Thanks for taking the time to read this blog and I hope you gained pertinent information with respect to Computer Networks.